The S 1000 R is powered by the legendary high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine from the S 1000 RR. But it has been optimised for use in the roadster.
• 10 Nm more than the S 1000 RR
• Extremely linear power delivery across the entire engine speed range
• Maximum of 112 Nm torque at 9,250 rpm
• Peak output of 160 bhp/118 kW at 11,000 rpm
The S 1000 R is fitted with Race ABS and ASC (automatic stability control) as standard. This sets the benchmark in terms of dynamic performance and safety in the bike's segment.
• Part integral Race ABS as standard for optimum deceleration.
• Clear feedback in the hand lever to detect threshold range
• Can be deactivated while riding
• Ultra-light system, virtually maintenance-free
• ASC ensures optimum acceleration on all road surfaces
• Both systems are perfectly interconnected and their regulation response is very simple to adapt via the standard riding modes Road/Rain
The S 1000 R features a highly active electronic suspension which is able to adapt to riding conditions within milliseconds, thereby enabling agility and dynamic performance.
• DTC is an assistance system with banking sensor which supports maximum possible throttle response and prevents rear wheel spin when there is reduced friction on the road surface. Maximum traction and agility as well as an additional safety bonus
• DDC: Dynamic Damping Control directly from the BMW HP4. Here the suspension adapts electronically within milliseconds to the surface and situation on the road.
• Characteristics and damping properties change from "pleasant" to "tight" depending on the riding modes selected, riding situation and road surface. The suspension supports the rider without the latter having to make any mechanical adjustments to the damper compression and rebound stage
The riding modes available for the S 1000 R perfectly interconnect the individual systems of throttle response, ABS control response, traction control (ASC or DTC) and suspension (DDC or load state) for a dynamic but safe ride on varying road surfaces and in different weather conditions.
• Rain mode for a gentle throttle response and sensitive ASC/ABS control response on wet road surfaces
• Road mode for optimum throttle response and optimum ASC/ABS control response for excellent acceleration and deceleration on dry roads
• The riding modes are simple to select by pressing a button and confirmed by closing the throttle and are shown on the display screen
Pro riding modes available with optional DTC or Sports package:
• Dynamic mode for optimum throttle response on dry roads with reduced lift detection function in the front and rear wheel when braking. DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) enables more dynamic acceleration in banking position
• Dynamic Pro mode is designed for very ambitious sports riders and can only be activated by means of a coded plug. DTC enables optimum acceleration with sports tyres on a dry surface. The ABS allows brake drifts using the footbrake but without having to dispense with ABS functions at the front wheel. The front and rear wheel lift detection function is deactivated.
The suspension of the S 1000 R is fitted as standard with a mechanical steering damper which ensures optimum stability even on varying surfaces and at high speeds.
The extensive range of options gives the rider the opportunity to optimise the motorbike according to personal preferences. Two packages are available for this purpose:
• "Sport" package For dynamic, sporty-oriented rider; includes the Pro riding modes (Dynamic, Dynamic Pro), DTC, shift assistant for even faster acceleration and cruise control
• Also: Extensive range of HP parts for the S 1000 R