BMW Motorrad’s highly-anticipated 2013 model R 1200 GS has made its international debut at the Intermot motorcycle show in Cologne, Germany. The world’s first - and most successful - adventure motorcycle has evolved once again, powered by the next-generation 125bhp BMW boxer-twin engine.
The iconic R 1200 GS also features the very latest technology and innovations from BMW Motorrad, including semi-active enduro suspension, dynamic traction control and five intuitive riding modes. These allow the rider to choose the perfect bike set-up, altering engine mapping, suspension and traction control at the press of a button.
The new R 1200 GS is more powerful, offers improved fuel economy, has better all-round ability and is the most advanced GS ever, offering riders an adventure motorcycle which is a more dynamic and exciting road bike, a more comfortable tourer and a more effective off-road machine.
With over 170,000 models sold around the world (not including the Adventure variant), the R 1200 GS has become the ultimate benchmark to which all other adventure motorcycles are compared. The next chapter in the R 1200 GS legend has raised the bar for performance, innovation and comfort even higher, while staying true to the original GS spirit which been winning over riders since the very first R 80 G/S in 1980.
The BMW R 1200 GS will also be available in a UK-exclusive high specification special-edition, the R 1200 GS TE ‘touring edition’, featuring a range of experience and comfort enhancing factory fit options and accessories as standard.
An overview of highlights of the new 2013 model BMW R 1200 GS.
• Completely new air/liquid-cooled 1170cc Boxer-twin, with an output of 125 bhp (92 kW) at 7,700 rpm and a maximum torque of 25 Nm at 6,500 rpm.
• Dynamic ESA semi-active suspension for both on- and off-road riding (factory fit option).
• ABS and ASC (traction control) settings for on- and off-road riding, as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings.
• BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard and improved braking with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc front brake calipers.
• Five switchable riding modes which set up the ABS, ASC (Automatic Stability Control) and Dynamic ESA semi-active suspension for on- and off-road use.
• World’s first motorcycle including LED main headlight, with automatic activation in the dark (factory fit option). Also featuring integrated daytime running light.
• Latest generation Telelever front and EVO Paralever rear suspension, with lightweight shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.
• E-gas ‘ride-by-wire’ throttle with optional cruise control.
• Ergonomically-optimised and adjustable seat, handlebars and screen (with one-hand operation) for even greater personalised comfort.
• New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer (with extended off-road riding functionality) available as factory fit option.