How your personal information may be used
Use of personal information under EU data protection laws must be justified under one of a number of legal grounds and we are required to set out the grounds in respect of each use in this policy.
The main uses of your information are:
Customer Support and Marketing - to respond to enquiries and to bring you news and offers
Customer care and for personalised communication of Cannon Motorcycles product and service information, where necessary with your consent. For these purposes, Cannon Motorcycles may transmit this data to authorised third parties and BMW Group companies
In order to ensure that you receive relevant and personalised communications, we will use your data to create an individual customer profile and we may share your personal data between authorised third parties and BMW Group companies. This may include data you have provided to these companies, or which is generated by your use of Cannon Motorcycles or BMW products, for example contact details, preferences, customer history, vehicle data, app usage and online behaviour
Vehicle Sales & Service – to process your sale, configure and service your vehicle
Cannon Motorcycles Ltd will obtain Contact Details, Vehicle Configuration Details, Vehicle Technical Information and Sales and Services Information when you purchase, service or repair a vehicle from or with them as part of the sale or service and will use it to provide the services you request and notify you of issues in relation to your vehicle. This information may be accessed by BMW Group companies to troubleshoot technical or other issues relating to the delivery of these services
The above mentioned controllers may also receive limited Vehicle Location Information during the repair process which will be used only in accordance with Location Information Safeguards.
Vehicle Finance – to assess your eligibility for finance.
Legal grounds for processing your personal information
The use of your information set out above is permitted under EU data protection law on the basis of these principal legal grounds:
- Where you have consented to the use (you will have been presented with a consent form in relation to any such use)
You may withdraw your consent at any time by:
- Calling the Cannon Motorcycle Customer Care Line on 01376 324600 (calls are charged at your normal rate.
- By writing to us at:
- Where necessary to enter into or perform our contract with you
- Where we need to use it to comply with our legal obligations
- Where we use it to achieve a legitimate interest and our reasons for using it outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights (our legitimate interests include promoting the Cannon Motorcycles business and BMW Group, by tailoring news and offers to your profile, research and development of vehicle related products and services, assessing your credit-worthiness, detecting fraud and criminal activities)
- Where necessary for us to defend, prosecute or make a claim against you, us or a third party
- In compliance with legal requests for your information – to comply with our legal obligations to law enforcement, regulators and the court service
There may be uses that are permitted on the basis of other grounds; where this is the case we will use reasonable endeavours to identify the ground and communicate it you as soon as possible after becoming aware of the new basis
Transfer to third parties
Personal information which we collected may be transferred to third parties on your behalf, only with your consent.
This is only shared in a secure manner, using a consistent security protocol. When we share with other parties we ensure that they only use your personal data for the purpose it was collected and do not allow them to abuse this agreement.
The types of third parties apart from the BMW companies already stated are:
- Marketing agencies who run and manage marketing campaigns on our behalf
- Event companies who run and manage sponsored events on our behalf
CANNON MOTORCYCLES LTD – who are we and what do we do
Note: For ease of reading the company is referred to throughout this policy by their Short name:
Who are Cannon Motorcycles:
Cannon Motorcycles is registered at this address:
40-42 High Street
What Cannon Motorcycles do:
Cannon Motorcycles is an appointed BMW Motorrad specialist, supplying new and used Motorcycles, clothing and aftersales needs.
- We are appointed by BMW UK as an independent BMW Motorrad Centre
- We provide services to customers and support for technical issues.
- We operate using the BMW brand under license to sell and/or service.
- We operate the Cannon Motorcycles digital systems and services.
- We use the BMW UK digital systems and services
FCA Status Disclosure:
Cannon Motorcycles Limited is an appointed representative of BMW Financial Services (GB) Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, for its general insurance mediation activities. Ref No. 417267
Cannon Motorcycles as a Data Controller and our responsibilities:
Cannon Motorcycles is responsible for, and is the Data Controller of your personal information that it receives from you or from third parties
Third parties are not covered by this policy and are referenced here to provide additional clarity.
Each third party is a Data Controller of information about you, that you and in addition Cannon Motorcycles provides them in relation to your sales, service and financial requests.
For example. BMW Financial Services is the Data Controller of the information which is used to grant and provide finance to you. If you don’t provide us with your consent for this we will not be able to us offer finance to you.
Below are links to third party privacy policies
BMW UK BMW FS FACEBOOK TWITTER GOOGLE
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
These are the main ways we collect your information:
- If you contact us directly via our website, phone lines or come into our retail premises to request information about our products and services
- If you buy a product or service directly from us
- If you reply to our direct marketing campaigns (e.g. filling out a response card)
- If with your permission, your contact details are transferred from authorised centres or other third parties.
- If your vehicle data (incl. vehicle identification number) is transferred to or from BMW Group companies while you’re having your vehicle serviced or repaired.
- If with your permission, other BMW Group legal entities or business partners transfer your personal data to us.
- If we acquired your personal data from other sources with your permission.
- When you apply for finance from BMW FS.
If you are under 16 please do not provide us with any of your information unless you have the permission of your parent or guardian to do so.
Please help us to keep your information up to date by informing us of any changes to your contact details or preferences. You may change or review your preferences by clicking here.
WHAT INFORMATION MAY BE COLLECTED ABOUT YOU
The following types of personal information about you may be collected:
- Phone numbers
- Email address
- Information you provide us about your interests
- Including the type of vehicles you are interested in.
Website and Communication Usage
- How you use our website and whether you open or forward our communications, including information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
Sales and Services Information
- Relating to purchases and services, including complaints and claims.
Credit and Anti-Fraud Information
- Which establishes your identity, such as driving licences, passports and utility bills
- Information about transactions, requests for credit and non-payment of debts with us and third parties and credit ratings from credit reference agencies
- Fraud, offences, suspicious transactions, politically exposed person and sanctions lists where your details are included.
Device and Service Usage
- How you use your device (mobile or vehicle) and services offered on the device.
Vehicle Configuration Details
- Information about the features and current settings of your vehicle (identified by the Vehicle Identification Number).
Vehicle Technical Information
- About how the engine and systems within the vehicle perform.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE
We use a variety of security measures, including encryption and authentication tools, to help protect and maintain security, integrity and availability of your information.
Although data transmission over the Internet or website cannot be guaranteed to be secure, we and our business partners work hard to maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information in accordance with applicable data protection requirements. Our main security measures are:
- Tightly restricted personal access to your data on a 'need to know' basis and for the communicated purpose only. Transferred collected data only in encrypted form.
- Highly confidential data stored only in encrypted form - e.g. credit card information.
- Firewalled IT systems to prohibit unauthorised access e.g. from hackers.
- Permanently monitored access to IT systems to detect and stop misuse of personal data.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR
We retain your information only as long as is necessary for the purpose for which we obtained them and any other permitted linked purposes. If information is used for two purposes we will retain it until the purpose with the latest period expires; but we will stop using it for the purpose with a shorter period once that period expires.
We restrict access to your information to only those persons who need to use it for the relevant purpose.
Our retention periods are based on business needs, your information that is no longer needed is either irreversibly anonymised or destroyed securely.
Use for marketing:
We retain your personal information for as long as is necessary, but only for the relevant purpose that we collected it for. You retain the right to remove this consent at any point.
Use to perform a contract:
In relation to your information used to perform any contractual obligation with you we may retain that data whilst the contract remains in force plus one year to deal with any queries or claims thereafter.
Where claims are contemplated:
In relation to any information where we reasonably believe it will be necessary to defend or prosecute or make a claim against you, us or a third party, we may retain that data for as long as that claim could be pursued.
WHO MAY WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
Cannon Motorcycles is a UK company. Your personal information may be accessed by our staff, agents, contractors or third parties. Click here for links
HOW TO CHANGE YOUR PRIVACY PREFERENCES
You can change your preferences or withdraw your consent in relation to how Cannon Motorcycles use your personal information. You are also able to request information about your data stored at Cannon Motorcycles as well as request the correction, deletion or restriction of your personal data for analytics and/or marketing use in one of the following ways:
- By contacting Cannon Motorcycles, Customer Information on 01376 324600 *
- By writing to us at:
Unit 5d Enterprise Court
* Calls are charged at your normal rate.
CONTACTING CANNON MOTORCYCLES ABOUT THIS PRIVICY POLICY
If you have any questions in relation to our use of your information you should first contact us in one of the following ways:
- By contacting Cannon Motorcycles, Customer Information on 01376 324600*
- By writing to us at:
Unit 5d Enterprise Court
Under certain conditions you have the right to require us to:
- Provide you with further detail on the use we make of your information
- Provide you with a copy of your information
- Update any inaccuracies in the information we hold about you
- Delete any information about you that we no longer have a lawful ground to use
- Remove you from any direct marketing lists when you object or withdraw your consent
- Provide you with your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
- Restrict our use of your personal information
- Cease carrying out certain processing activities based on the legitimate interests ground unless our reasons for undertaking that processing outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights.
Third parties are not covered by this policy and are referenced here to provide additional clarity, below are links to third party privacy policies.
- BMW UK BMW FS FACEBOOK TWITTER GOOGLE
Your exercise of these rights is subject to certain exemptions to safeguard the public interest (e.g. the prevention or detection of crime), our interests (e.g. the maintenance of legal privilege) and the rights of third parties.
If you are dissatisfied with our use of your information or our response to any exercise of these rights you have the right to complain to your data protection authority, this in the UK is the Information Commissioner's Office (click ICO for more information).