100 years of “Make Life a Ride”
BMW Motorrad’s history is characterised by an urge to succeed. Succeed in challenges and celebrate success. However, there have also been setbacks and it’s taken quite some perseverance. Giving up was never an option. The company’s history is mainly about people sharing a passion: adventurers, dreamers, inventors, athletes, visionaries – men and women aiming to revolutionise the streets with great ideas on two wheels. 100 years of the “Make Life a Ride” spirit. In this spirit, we take the time to simultaneously look at our past and our future: at events and highlights in the anniversary year 2023. And lots of ideas are still to come.
One history, countless stories
The people substantially shaping the history of BMW motorcycles go beyond the norm. It all began with Chief Designer Max Friz, who designed the first BMW motorcycle that was showcased at the German Motor Show on 28 September 1923. He was followed by designers, racers and pioneers who also challenged the status quo. In 1924, Rudolf Schleicher played a leading role in the development of the BMW R 37’s engine, the first BMW Motorrad sports model. In 1937, Ernst Jakob Henne broke the land speed record on a BMW 500 Kompressor fitted with full trim panel, reaching 279.503 km/h. In 1939, Georg “Schorsch” Meier won the Senior TT on the Isle of Man as the first non-British person on a BMW Kompressor. Even today, people at BMW Motorrad are still thinking ahead, developing new vehicle concepts based on new drives, for example.
100 years in a picture
100 years in an artwork: this motif highlights the history of BMW Motorrad, spanning a century, in a playful and illustrative way. Which milestones can you see? The boxer engine, the Paris-Dakar winner’s pose, the anniversary model with a bow, the BMW Group plant in Berlin and much more.
Your story makes ours complete x 100 years"
The 100 Year Roadshow
The 100 Year Roadshow
Celebrating 100 years of BMW Motorrad, we would like to invite you to test ride a range of BMW's iconic bikes and experience some of the latest models, from the sporty new M 1000 R to the classic R nine T 100 year edition at one of our Roadshow destinations.
Make sure you dont miss out - Book your place today
Max Friz –
Chief Designer from 1917
From 1917, Max Friz became Chief Designer at BMW, turning his attention to his great passion: developing the motorcycle. In just four weeks, he put the complete design to paper. His vision, the BMW R 32, will be showcased at the German Motor Show in September 2023. The rest is history.
Hans A. Muth –
Erster Designer ab 1971
Hans A. Muth became a designer at BMW Motorrad for the first time in 1971. In 1973, he put his passion for speed on the road with the first BMW Motorrad superbike. The styling of the R 90 S sparks a passion in onlookers. It was followed by numerous stylistic icons in BMW Motorrad's product history.
Edgar Heinrich –
Vice President Design ab 2012
Since 2012, when Edgar Heinrich took charge, the company has created the touring enduro icon BMW R 1200 GS and the super sports S 1000 RR along with many other motorcycles. However, he also focuses on electrifying mobility, for example as part of the development of the avant-garde CE 04 electric scooter or visionary bikes, such as the AMBY 2022 vision.
Share your story
100 years – what a ride. We’re sure you’ve experienced countless moments on your bike that were special, moving or just plain crazy. It’s stories like yours that make ours so vivid. That’s because it is you out there riding our bikes. All over the world, wherever life and freedom take you. Share your best story and show that you are a part of this movement for freedom. Simply upload your story to social media using the hashtag #YourStoryMakesOursComplete and you too will appear on our History Wall.
Two models aimed at aficionados on occasion of the anniversary
Two models aimed at aficionados on occasion of the anniversary
In 2023, we will be celebrating our history with two edition models: the BMW R 18 100 Years and the BMW R nineT 100 Years. With its chrome-plated tank and paint-on-chrome technology, the R nineT is reminiscent of the 1969 R 75/5. With its drop-shaped tank, the R 18 reflects the design of the 1936 R 5. These two models aimed at real enthusiasts are each limited to 1,923 units.
The electric revolution
The BMW CE 02
Tame the city streets with this stylish piece of engineering. The electric BMW CE 02 glides effortlessly through even the narrowest alleyways and past the after-work traffic. It’s the best way to get to wherever you need to be. But what exactly is the CE 02? Is it an electric scooter? Nope! We call it an eParkourer, because it gives you the agility of a parkour runner. Move your way.
100 years of style and accessories
A perfect match for the anniversary: our Edition 100 Years clothing, accessories and optional equipment. The items are unmistakable, for example, thanks to unique details, special stitching or retro cuts. Accessories, such as bags and motorcycle mats, available in different designs and sizes, are identifiable by their 100-year logo. Discover a selection of 100 Years Edition products here.
Prize Draw Terms & Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully prior to participating in this prize draw. By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
The Promoter is: BMW (UK) Ltd (the “Promoter”).
Registered Office: Summit ONE, Summit Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0FB.
How to enter this prize draw:
2. The prize draw is free to enter, and no purchase is necessary. Only one entry per person.
3. To enter the prize draw you must, within the dates set out in clause 4 below:
a. complete and submit online the dedicated prize draw entry form at bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/forms/r18-testride.html or, if attending a BMW Motorrad Retailer Roadshow event before 11 September 2023, provide a completed BMW Motorrad Retailer Roadshow event form to the BMW Motorrad representative on the day you attend the event, and
b. take a test ride on a BMW R 18 model variant at a participating BMW Motorrad retailer, or via the BMW Motorrad demonstrator fleet at the MCN Festival, ABR festival or the BMW Motorrad Retailer Roadshow.
4. The opening date for entries is 00:01 on 1 May 2023. There are 2 closing dates:
a. The closing date for submission of the online prize draw entry form is 23:59 on 31 August 2023. Online entries received after this time will not be considered.
b. Your test ride, and completion of the BMW Motorrad Retailer Roadshow event form if attending a Roadshow event, must be completed by close of business on 10 September 2023. Entries will not be considered if the test ride, and Roadshow event form if applicable, has not been completed by this time.
5. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault (technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure) of any kind.
6. By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions.
7. Employees and agents of the Promoter or any associated companies of the Promoter, their immediate families or anyone professionally connected with this prize draw are not allowed to enter the draw.
8. The Promoter will not accept entries that are completed by third parties, are in bulk, illegible, have been reconstructed, forged or are incomplete.
9. The Promoter may require you to provide evidence of your eligibility.
10. Entries cannot be returned.
11. In entering the prize draw, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim the prize. The Promoter may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the prize draw. Delay or failure to provide the evidence to the Promoter’s reasonable satisfaction may result in an entry being void or a prize being forfeited.
12. One winner will be chosen by a random draw performed by a computer process on 11 September 2023.
13. The winner will receive 1x new 2023 BMW R 18 100 Year addition, motorcycle from a BMW Motorrad Retailer selected by the Promoter. With no accessories, added options, insurance or road tax.
14. The prize is for the named winner only and cannot be given or transferred to any other person.
15. Unless stated otherwise in these terms and conditions, the prize excludes insurance, road tax, fuel, gratuities, telephone calls, taxes, further personal expenses, and anything not expressly included in the prize.
17. The winner will be notified by 13 September on 5pm and informed about the details of the prize.
18. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within 5 days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited, and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
19. The Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the prize draw will be final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of equal or greater value should circumstances make this necessary.
21. The Promoter must either publish or make available details of the surname and county of residence of prize-winner(s). To comply with this obligation the Promoter will send the name and county of the prize winners to anyone who emails firstname.lastname@example.org or writes to the registered address of the Promoter (enclosing a self-addressed envelope) within one month after the closing date of the prize draw.
Limitation of liability:
22. The prize will be provided to the winner by a BMW Motorrad Retailer. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter and its agents will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury, or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter or its agents or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Data protection and publicity:
24. If you are the winner of this prize draw you agree that the Promoter may use your surname, image and town or county of residence to publish or make available, the winner and for any other reasonable and related promotional purposes. If you object to any or all of your surname, image, town or county and winning entry being published or made available, please contact Customer Service on 0800 777 155 or by sending an email to email@example.com. We will still be able to provide your name and county to the ASA if required.
25. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, exclude you from participating in this prize draw.
26. These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and the Promoter and the entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.