Road racing is commonly regarded as one of the most extreme forms of motorcycle racing - where the riders often reach speeds in excess of 200 mph on closed public roads. The absence of run off areas and safety barriers further adds an element of danger to the sport where there is a fine line between success and failure.
The first road races took place in the early 1900's where the average speed around the original configuration of the Isle of Man TT course was just over 30 mph! Nowadays average lap speeds are over 130 mph.
The most well-known road race is the Isle of Man TT - the challenging 37.7 mile course is the pinnacle of the road racing calendar. Thousands of people travel from all over the world to watch riders take on the famous mountain course.
Making use of the miles of scenic countryside on offer, Northern Ireland sees some of the most competitive grids in the world line up to take on the roads.
The road race season is rounded off at the Macau Grand Prix in November. The twisty street circuit and the humidity of the Chinese city makes this race even more challenging.
Run by the TAS racing team, renowned father son duo Hector and Philip Neil, Tyco BMW are the Official Team for BMW Motorrad UK.
For the 2018 season Dan Kneen has joined the team having impressed with two podiums at the Ulster GP last year standing for injured team rider Ian Hutchinson. The 30-year-old Manxman is looking forward to representing Tyco BMW at the Isle of Man TT Races.
Road Race Specification
- Tuning Specification – BMW Motorrad Type 6
- Gearbox – BMW Motorrad Type 6 RR
- Clutch – STM Slipper
- Exhaust System – Akrapovic Titanium
- Air Filter – K+N
- Frame – Standard
- Fork Clamp – Tas Racing/NME Adjustable off-set/Rake/Trail
- Swingarm – BMW Motorrad
- Wheels – OZ Racing
- Rearsets – Valter Moto
- Fuel Tank – Tas Racing/NME 24 liters
- Bodywork – Carbonin Carbon Fibre
- Screen – Powerbronze High Race
- Seat – Carbonin /Tas Racing
- Radiator – Standard/Samco Hoses
- ECU – BMW Motorrad Race Calibration 3 Kit
- Wiring Loom - Standard
- Data Logger – BMW
- Suspension Logger – 2D
- Quick Shifter – Lohmann
- Front Calipers – Brembo Evo Radial Monobloc
- Front Discs – Brembo 320mm
- Rear Caliper – Brembo Radial Mount
- Rear Disc – Brembo 200mm
- Brake Lines – HEL
- Brake Pads – SBS
- Forks - K-Tech KTR 3 25mm Closed Cartridge
- RCU – K-Tech DDS
- Steering Damper – K-Tech SDS
- BHP – 220 @ 11,000 RPM
- Weight – 170 kg
15 - 19 May
26 May - 08 June
09 - 12 July
07 - 11 August